I still remember the very first time I tried this stuff. It was December, five years ago. We were at a surprise birthday party for my father in law. There was tons of food and people, conversations and laughter. I was about 5 months pregnant at the time and over on the side table there was this plate stacked up with this stuff. I didn’t really pay much attention to it.
Then Mr. saw it and his eyes lit up. He went right for it and made me try it. Let’s just say my life was forever changed. It explained that this was Auntie D’s homemade almond roca. I could NOT leave this stuff alone the rest of the night. I’m pretty sure I must have ate 1/2 the plate all by myself.
This stuff is easy, addicting and delicious. I made it just after for a potluck at work. No one really paid it much attention until I told them to try it. As soon as they had one piece they, like me, couldn’t put it down. It’s sweet, salty, crunch and sweet. The perfect balanced treat.
I can’t make this stuff very often because I have will power issues, just ask my jeans.
- 1 sleeve Saltine Crackers with salted tops
- 1 c salted butter
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c sliced almonds - toasted
- sea salt for sprinkling
- Move your oven rack to the middle position and line a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil. Preheat oven to 400 F. Spread crackers in a single layer covering the entire pan.
- In a medium sauce pan bring butter and sugar to a roiling boil, stirring often and boil for 3 minutes.
- Immediately pour over your saltine crackers and spread evenly.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Remove and cover evenly with chocolate chips. Put back in the oven for 1-2 minutes, until the chocolate is soft enough to spread.
- Spread out chocolate making sure to completely cover the crackers. Sprinkle almonds on top and then sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top.
- Place in the fridge until firm. Once everything is solid break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days. (ya right, this stuff never lasts 5 days.)
- Freezes well.